Ear-shaped pasta with broccoli in a garlic sauce.
This is one of endless versions of the «Orecchiette alla Barese», which always entail a sauce with either broccoli or broccoli rabe, garlic, and olive oil. Optional ingredients may be added in countless combinations.
|3 cups||broccoli, cut into florets||400 g|
|160 g||orecchiette, or other short pasta||1 2/3 cup|
|4 tsp||olive oil||20 mL|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Prepare the broccoli: clean and cut off the florets. Peel off any though skin of the stalks and cut them into small pieces. Blanch and drain the broccoli, then set aside, but keep them warm.
- To save time, the rest of the sauce preparation and pasta cooking can be done at the same time. Cook the pasta.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Gently sauté the minced or pressed garlic 1-2 min, with stirring, until soft without letting it burn. Add the drained broccoli and pepper.
- Pour the drained pasta into the pan and mix with the seasoned broccoli. Adjust the seasoning. Serve in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (340g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||2 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat