Fish and chips with mayonnaise.
«Fish and Chips», Britain's favourite take-away, is completely revisited here, to obtain a tasty but healthier result with no deep-frying.
Before you start
Time well the potato and fish preparation so that the fish is baked during the last 15 min of potato baking.
Preheat the oven to 260°C/500°F. Line with parchment paper a large baking sheet then oil it lightly. Start baking the potatoes. Prepare the fish during the first 15 min of potato baking. Bake the fish with the potatoes during the last 15 min of potato baking.
Oven «fried» chips
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut each half into 4-6 wedges. It is important to cut them into wedges of similar size so that they will all cook evenly and be done at the same time.
- In a deep dish, whisk the egg white with the paprika and salt. Add the potato wedges and coat them well with the egg white mixture. Transfer them to the baking sheet. Don't crowd the potatoes on the sheet or they will steam and not turn golden-brown.
- Bake on the bottom oven rack 15 min, then turn the potatoes and bake an additional 15 min.
Oven «fried» fish
- Cut the fish into servings.
- Prepare 2 shallow dishes: beat the egg and water in one dish, then combine the cornstarch, cornmeal, spices, and a pinch of salt in the other dish. Dip one fish piece at the time, first in the dry mixture, then in the egg mixture. Let the excess egg drip off before coating the fish in the dry mixture again. Turn the fish to coat both sides.
- Put the fish on an oiled rack of a broiler pan and spray them evenly with a vegetable oil spray. Bake the fish for 15 min on the top oven rack.
- Take the fish and chips out of the oven. Add salt to taste. Serve with the mayonnaise on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (380g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Omega-3, Omega-6, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||4|