Pasta with sautéed eggplants and a tomato sauce.
This recipe is at its best if made with «mozzarella di bufala», a fresh soft cheese made from the milk of the black water buffalo. It can be found in the Italian markets.
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Prepare the vegetables : Cut the aubergines into 1 cm thick pieces; coarsely chop the onion; crush the garlic and mince the chili pepper.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 5 min until it becomes lightly golden-coloured. Add the pancetta then sauté 3-4 min until golden. Add the garlic and chili pepper then sauté for 1 min, with stirring. Add the tomatoes, season with salt, then lower the heat and cook until a sauce consistency is obtained, about 10 min.
- While the tomato sauce cooks, heat the remaining oil in another large pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced aubergines, without crowding the pan (you may need to work in batches). Season with salt and pepper, then cook until the aubergines are golden-coloured, about 5 min. Transfer the cooked aubergines to the sauce pan, then keep it warm over very low heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water. When the pasta is almost done, set aside enough cooking water to dilute the sauce a bit. Drain the pasta, then put it back into the pasta cooking pot. Add the sauce and toss well. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and diced mozzarella.
- Sprinkle with oregano, then serve in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (400g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||2 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||1||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Manganese, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin E
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|