Rice with smoked ham and shrimp.
Paella is the one Spanish dish which is world famous and needs no introduction. This very quick version is obviously not the "real thing", however it is an ideal last-minute showy dish, since it uses readily available ingredients.
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
For good results, use only good quality spices.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the onion and bell pepper.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Add the smoked ham, onion and bell pepper, then sauté until golden brown, 7-8 min, with occasional stirring. Stir in the paprika, saffron, cayenne pepper (optional), and rice. Sauté 1 min with stirring. Pour in all the broth except about 1/4 cup, then bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat to 'low', cover and simmer until the rice is almost tender, about 18 min.
- Put the shrimp on top of the rice, add the peas and drizzle with the remaining broth (add a little water, if necessary, to moisten the contents). Cover and cook until the shrimp is opaque in the centres and pink-coloured, 5-6 min. Adjust the seasoning, sprinkle with parsley (optional) then serve in the warmed dishes.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (260g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Selenium, Vitamin B12
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|