|1/4 cup||balsamic vinegar||65 mL|
|1 tbsp||honey||22 g|
|240 g||spinach||9 cups|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
|300 g||salmon fillet, cut into servings|
|2 tsp||canola oil||10 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
The salmon can be cooked using either an outdoor grill or in a thick-bottom pan on the stovetop.
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and honey into a small saucepan then bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until the volume is reduced by half and a syrupy consistency is obtained, 5-7 min. Set aside.
- Prepare the spinach. Wash and drain rapidly then transfer to a pot or saucepan without adding any water. The water trapped in the leaves after gentle shaking is enough to cook them. Add salt, cover and cook over high heat 3-4 min until the leaves wilt and turn very deep green. Avoid overcooking otherwise the spinach will become brownish. Transfer the spinach to a colander, press to remove excess water, then set aside.
- Cut the salmon fillet into servings. Lightly oil each piece on both sides. Heat a grooved, thick-bottom frying pan or a nonstick pan. When hot, add the fish, skin side down, and cook until the edges become opaque and lighter coloured, about 5 min. Turn and cook an additional 5 min. Peel off the skin then season with salt and pepper. Check with a fork to see if it is cooked through. Alternatively, cook the fish on a hot grill.
- Transfer the spinach to the warmed serving plates, place the fish on top, then drizzle with the balsamic syrup. Serve.
Any unused balsamic reduction can be stored a few months in the refrigerator for future use.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (250g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Pantothenic Acid, Zinc
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Omega-3, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|