Radicchio's slight bitterness is balanced here by the sweetness of the caramelized red onions.
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Prepare the vegetables: Thinly slice the onions and radicchio. Set aside separately.
- Heat the butter and half of the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions then sauté with frequent stirring until they are softened and golden-coloured, about 20 min.
- While the onions cook, prepare the sausages. Prick them in a few spots using a fork then put them in a saucepan. Cover the sausages with water then bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 5 min. Take the sausages out of the water and pat them dry.
- Heat the remaining oil in another skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and sauté 4-5 min, until they become golden-coloured. Turn them a few times while cooking. When they are done, keep them warm while the onions continue to cook.
- Add the radicchio to the onions and sauté until it is wilted, about 5 min. Add the two vinegars and cook over medium-high heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 1 min. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the onion-radicchio mixture alongside the sausages.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (320g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Niacin, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B2
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C
- Low :
- Calories, Saturated Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||3|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Leave a review
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
CharlieTrotterdecember 16, 2008 | I would make this recipe again
I like the contrast between the sweetness of the onions and the bitterness of the radicchio: excellent recipe.