Before you start
You will need a wok or frying pan.
Put the serving dish in the oven at the lowest setting to keep the vegetables warm while you cook the tofu.
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting temperature.
- Pat-dry the tofu, then cut it into 2 cm cubes. Transfer the cubes to a shallow dish or bowl. In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame seed oil. Add half of the pressed garlic and half of the grated ginger. Mix well and pour this marinade over the tofu. Let rest at room temperature for about ½ hour. During this time, prepare and cook the vegetables.
- Prepare the vegetables: press the remaining garlic; coarsely chop all the other vegetables into bite-size pieces.
- Heat half of the canola oil in a skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté 2-3 min, taking care not to let it burn, then increase the heat to 'high'. Add the garlic and all the other vegetables, then sesaon with salt and pepper to taste. Cook with occasional stirring until the vegetables are cooked but al dente 6-7 min. Cover and cook an additional 2-3 min, then remove the vegetables from the wok and set them aside on a plate in the oven.
- Add the remaining canola oil to the wok over high heat. Drain the tofu cubes, reserving the marinade, then add the cubes to the wok and sauté about 5 min, with occasional stirring, until they are golden-brown. Pour in the reserved marinade and put the vegetables back into the wok. Add the remaining grated ginger and cook a few more minutes, with stirring. Adjust the seasoning. Sprinkle with the chopped scallions and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (320g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Fibre, Omega-3, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Phosphorus, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
- Bone-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Meat and Alternatives||2|