A red bean and mushroom burger.
Vegetarians, vegans, and even meat-lovers will enjoy these veggie burgers.
Before you start
These burgers can be cooked either in a pan on the stovetop or using an outdoor grill.
- Prepare the vegetables and cilantro: finely chop the onion, press the garlic, finely chop the mushrooms, chop the cilantro, and mince the chili pepper. Set them aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic then sauté 3-4 until translucent. Add the cumin, turmeric and minced chili pepper. Cook 1 min with constant stirring. Add the mushrooms and cook, with occasional stirring, a few minutes until the mushrooms are softened and have lost most of their moisture. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Drain the beans, rinse them and drain again thoroughly, then place them in a bowl. Mash them using a fork, then add them to the skillet with the chopped cilantro and mix well. Add plenty of salt and pepper.
- Using floured hands, form the mixture into flat patties. If the mixture is too sticky to handle, mix in a little flour.
- Lightly brush the patties with the remaining oil then cook on a hot grill for 8-10 min, until golden-brown, turning them once gently (they are not quite as firm as meat burgers). Alternatively, they may be cooked in a pan, over medium heat for 8-10 min, turning them once.
- Serve each burger over a pita bread with a spoonful of soy yogurt.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (230g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin B1
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E
- Source of :
- Calcium, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||½|