Before you start
It is not necessary to soak the lentils in advance.
- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the garlic, onion(s), carrot(s), and celery stalk(s). Mince the chili pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the vegetables and chili pepper, then sauté 2-3 min until they are slightly softened. Stir in the lentils then cook 1 min.
- Pour in the broth, wine, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer until the lentils are cooked al dente, about 30 min. Stir occasionally and check that the lentils remain moist, adding some more broth or water if necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausages on a medium-hot grill until brown and crisp, about 2-3 min per side. Alternatively, sauté the sausages in a grooved grill-pan, then add them to the lentils. Cover then cook an additional 5 min. Sprinkle with the chopped parsley (optional) then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (260g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||3||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||5|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Leave a review
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
strivingvegmarch 30, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
First time around I burned the lentils! Second time around I increased the amount of stock to 1 cup and it turned out really well.