Beef and vegetables braised in red wine.
Before you start
A pressure cooker will reduce the cooking time from 2½ h to 40 min.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel the carrots, potatoes and turnips, then cut the carrots, turnips, and celery stalks into large pieces (about 2-3 cm thick). Leave the potatoes whole or cut them in half if big. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Leave the meat whole.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker or in a thick-base roasting pan over medium heat. Brown the meat thoroughly on each side until golden, 7-8 min total. Take the meat out and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pressure cooker or pan and sauté 3-4 min until translucent. Add the other vegetables and cook 2-3 min, then deglaze with the wine 1 min. Add about 1 cm water and the tomato paste, then put the meat back into the pan. Add salt and pepper
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cover and close, and bring to high pressure (*Follow the manufacturer's directions to determine when high pressure has been reached). Cook for 40 min. If you are not using a pressure cooker, cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer for about 2 h 30 min.
- Serve the meat and vegetables with the cooking juices.
This stew can be made a few days ahead and reheated over moderate heat.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Omega-3, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||3|