A rustic salad from the Middle-East, made with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, and crumbled pieces of grilled pita bread. In this gluten-free version pita bread is substituted by tortillas.
|1/2||Romaine lettuce||280 g|
|1||tomatoes, coarsely diced||120 g|
|1||cucumbers, medium size, seeded and coarsely sliced||260 g|
|2 tbsp||Italian parsley, fresh, chopped||10 g|
|4 tbsp||fresh mint, chopped||12 g|
|1/2||onions, coarsely chopped||100 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced|
|2 tbsp||extra virgin olive oil||30 mL|
|2 tsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|1/2||corn tortillas||22 g|
|1/2 tsp||sumac [optional]||2.5 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
If you cannot find « sumac » at your grocery store, you may substitute it by some lemon juice.
- Coarsely chop the onion and soak it in water with a few drops of vinegar for about ½ h. You can also leave it overnight in the refrigerator. This makes the raw onion easier to digest and crispier.
- Prepare the vegetables. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scrape out the seeds. Slice them coarsely, then sprinkle with salt to let excess and possibly bitter liquids drain off. Coarsely dice the tomatoes. Chop the parsley and mint leaves. Wash the romaine lettuce, spin-dry, then tear the leaves into bite-size pieces and place them in a bowl. Place all the vegetables in a salad bowl or serving plate.
- Mince the garlic and put it into a small bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice, minced chili pepper, and sumac (optional). Add salt and pepper. Whisk using a fork until the vinaigrette is emulsified. Adjust the seasoning. Pour over the vegetables and toss well. Let stand 15 min.
- When ready to serve, grill the tortillas in a toaster, break into pieces then add them to the salad. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (370g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||5||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar