A refreshingly cold, summertime soup made from uncooked tomatoes, sweet bell peppers, onions, celery, cucumbers, bread, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar.
Although the exact origin of the word «gazpacho» is unknown, most suggest that it derives from the Mozarabic word «caspa», meaning fragments or remnants of food, primarily stale bread, that were combined with vinegar, water, oil, garlic, and other seasonings in a clay pot, wrapped with a wet towel, and left standing in the sun. When the towel was dry, the food was ready. From Andalusia, in Southern Spain, where it originated, «gazpacho» spread across the country and nowadays there are as many recipes as there are families in Spain.
|1 slice||bread, whole wheat||35 g|
|1/4 tsp||wine vinegar||1.25 mL|
|1/2||cucumbers, medium size||130 g|
|1||yellow or red sweet peppers||200 g|
|1/3 cup||extra virgin olive oil||85 mL|
|1/4 tsp||Tabasco sauce||1.25 mL|
|1 tbsp||olive oil, for the croutons||15 mL|
|2 slices||bread, whole wheat, for the croutons||70 g|
|1||eggs size large, to garnish|
|2||green onions/scallions, to garnish|
|1/2||green peppers, to garnish||80 g|
|1 stalk||celery, to garnish||70 g|
|1/2||cucumbers, medium size, to garnish||130 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|sugar to taste [optional]|
Before you start
The secret of «gazpacho» is found in the quality of the tomatoes, which must be of the sweetest, vine-ripened, height-of-the-season type.
A blender or food processor will be very useful to purée the soup.
- Soak the bread in a bowl of water with the vinegar (just a few drops). After about 10 min squeeze the bread dry, discarding the soaking water, then transfer it to a food processor.
- While the bread is soaking, prepare the vegetables. Peel the tomatoes by plunging them for 30 seconds into a pot of boiling water. Press the garlic, chop the green onions, and cut the cucumber and red pepper into small pieces. Put one batch of vegetables into the food processor then pulse a couple of times until the mixture is well blended. Add the remaining vegetables then process until a dense purée is obtained.
- Pour in the extra virgin olive oil in a slow stream while running the blender continuously, about 1 min, until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce. Add sugar to taste, if needed, according to the type and ripeness of the tomatoes. Transfer the soup to a bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly (about 2 hours).
- When ready to serve, prepare the croutons, cook the hard-boiled eggs, and prepare the garnish of chopped green onions, diced green peppers, celery, and cucumbers. Put each garnish ingredient into separate small bowls.
- Adjust the seasoning of the soup and serve it into dishes with the garnish on the side.
«Gazpacho» can be stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (370g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Iron, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Manganese, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
|Meat and Alternatives||0|