Chicken cooked in a tomato mushroom sauce.
Legend has it that this dish was served to Napoleon the night before his victory in the Battle of Marengo (not far from Milan, Italy, on June 14, 1800). Apparently, the Emperor rather liked it…
|4||chicken legs, with back, skinless||1.2 kg|
|4 tbsp||cornstarch||30 g|
|1 clove||garlic, finely chopped|
|1 1/2||shallots, finely chopped||60 g|
|14||button (white) mushrooms, sliced||200 g|
|2 tbsp||margarine non-hydrogenated||28 g|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|2||bay leaf||0.4 g|
|1 sprig||fresh thyme||0.4 g|
|1/2 cup||white wine||125 mL|
|1/2 cup||chicken broth||125 mL|
|1 1/2 tbsp||tomato paste||23 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Put the serving dish in the oven at the lowest setting to keep the chicken warm.
- Coat the chicken with cornstarch. Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the garlic and shallot; slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the margarine in a pan, over medium heat and sauté the pieces thoroughly on each side until golden, about 6-7 min. Set them aside on the warmed serving plate in the oven.
- Add the oil to the pan and heat. Add the garlic and shallot, bay leaf, and thyme. Cook 2-3 min. Pour in the white wine then scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly as the wine comes to a boil.
- Add the chicken back in. Add the warm broth and the tomato paste, cover, and simmer. Turn the chicken pieces 2 or 3 times during the cooking. Add the mushrooms to the pan after the chicken has cooked 30-35 min. Cook an additional 10-15 min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (230g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Omega-3, Omega-6, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Iron, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|