Tangy tomato soup with peppers and legumes.
I learned this recipe from a fellow Mexican student while we were getting our Master's Degree at the Ecole Polytechnique de Montréal.
|2||red onions, coarsely chopped||300 g|
|2||yellow or red sweet peppers, coarsely chopped||400 g|
|2||potatoes, peeled||400 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1/4 cup||canola oil||65 mL|
|1||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|2 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1 2/3 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||400 g|
|4 cups||vegetable broth, low-sodium||1 L|
|2 cups||frozen peas||260 g|
|1 1/2 cup||red beans (canned), rinsed and drained||375 mL|
|1/2 tsp||Tabasco sauce, to taste||2.5 mL|
|2||avocados, diced [optional]||340 g|
|6 tbsp||Cheddar cheese, grated [optional]||28 g|
|6||corn tortillas [optional]||280 g|
|2 tbsp||fresh cilantro [optional]||4 g|
- Prepare the vegetables. Coarsely chop the onion and peppers. Press or mince the garlic. Peel the potatoes and keep them whole.
- Heat the oil in a pot. Sauté the onion over medium heat 3-4 min, until soft, then lower the heat, add the peppers, garlic and salt. Cook 10-12 min.
- Add the minced chili pepper, oregano, the diced tomatoes, the whole potatoes, and the broth. Cook about 20 min over medium-low heat, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Purée the soup in a blender, then pour it back into the pot.
- While the soup is cooking, boil the frozen peas 5 min in a small pot of boiling salted water. Set aside.
- Drain the beans, rinse them, drain again then add them to the pot. Add also the peas. Warm up the soup just a few minutes. Adjust the seasoning. You may want to add Tabasco sauce for extra pungency.
- Pour the soup into bowls. You may garnish each bowl with cubed avocado, grated Cheddar, and cilantro leaves. Serve with grilled tortillas.
This soup can be kept up to 7 days in the refrigerator; up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Omega-3, Selenium, Vitamin B12
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||½|