Vegetable and herring salad.
In Italy we call it « Insalata russa » while in Russia it's known as « Italian salad », but apparently its origin is French: good recipes travel long distances!
|4||smoked/kippered herring fillets||110 g|
|1/3 cup||soy beverage, unsweetened, fortified||85 mL|
|2||potatoes, peeled and halved||400 g|
|1 1/2||carrots, peeled and cut into chunks||150 g|
|1 1/2 cup||green/snap beans, trimmed||150 g|
|1 cup||frozen peas||120 g|
|1||apples, peeled and diced||180 g|
|2/3 cup||mayonnaise||170 mL|
|1/3 cup||soy yogurt||90 g|
|2 tbsp||capers||20 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Must be prepared one day in advance.
- Soak the herring filets in soy milk for about 1 h, drain, pat dry, and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel the potatoes and cut them in half; peel the carrots and cut them into large chunks; trim the ends of the green beans. Place the vegetables in a steamer basket or in a pot of salted water to either boil or steam for about 15 min, depending on the vegetable type. Cook the peas 3-4 min separately. Let cool down the vegetables about 1 h, then cut them into 1 cm dices and put them in a salad bowl.
- Peel the apple, discard the core, then dice and add to the vegetables. Add the herring filets and capers.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the soy yogurt then pour over the salad. Adjust the seasoning, then toss. Cover with plastic wrap then chill for at least 8 h or overnight.
- Let stand 30 min at room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (230g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Iron, Omega-3, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||½|