A creamy potato and garlic soup puréed with milk.
Even those who are not great fans of garlic may enjoy this soup, since this potent ingredient becomes quite mild, even subtle, when cooked in combination with potatoes and leeks.
|7 cloves||garlic, crushed|
|2||potatoes, peeled then cut into large pieces||400 g|
|1||onions, coarsely chopped||200 g|
|1||leeks, cut into 2 cm pieces||300 g|
|1 1/2 tbsp||canola oil||23 mL|
|2 3/4 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||700 mL|
|2/3 cup||milk, partly skimmed, 2%||170 mL|
|4 slices||bread, whole wheat, for the croutons||140 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil, for the croutons||30 mL|
|4 tsp||chives, fresh, chopped||4 g|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||ground pepper||1 g|
- Prepare the vegetables: Coarsely chop the onion. Halve the leek lengthwise and cut each half crosswise into 2 cm pieces. Crush the garlic cloves. Peel and cut the potatoes into 4 cm chunks.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, leek, and garlic, then cook with occasional stirring, until the vegetables are just softened, 2-3 min. Add the broth and potatoes, then season with the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to low, cover, and simmer about 20 min until the potatoes are tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the croutons.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor. Pour the soup back into the saucepan, add the milk, stir, and reheat over moderately high heat a couple of minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Garnish each bowl with the chopped chives and croutons. Serve.
This soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (380g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||1||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Iron, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||0|