Tapioca is a starchy substance extracted from the root of the cassava plant (also called manioc and yuca), which grows in tropical countries. The starch is transformed into small granules or pearls of various sizes, colours and glossiness. Having fallen out of fashion for a while, tapioca is now being resurrected as "bubble tea", a refreshing, colourful and trendy drink, originally from Taiwan, which has recently invaded major North American cities. Here, I am proposing a traditional pudding, as I learned it from my mother-in-law.
|1/4 cup||pearl tapioca (quick-cooking)||40 g|
|1||eggs size large|
|2 cups||almond beverage, unsweetened, fortified||500 mL|
|4 tbsp||sugar||50 g|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|3 tbsp||unsweetened coconut flakes [optional]||16 g|
Before you start
Make sure you choose quick-cooking tapioca, which does not require soaking, nor a long cooking time (with stirring!)
A hand-held or stand mixer will make things easier for this recipe.
- Warm up the milk on the stovetop, or in a microwave oven 1-2 min until luke-warm.
- Add the tapioca, salt, and sugar to a saucepan. Mix and add the warmed milk. Cook over very low heat 5 min, with stirring.
- Separate the egg white(s) from the yolk(s). Put the white(s) in a bowl and add the yolk(s) to the saucepan. Cook an additional 5 min over low heat, with stirring. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Beat the egg white(s) to form stiff peaks using an electric mixer, then fold them very gently into the tapioca-yolk mixture.
- Portion out the pudding into small serving bowls (about 1/3 cup each). Sprinkle with the coconut flakes. Chill at least 3 h in the refrigerator before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (110g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||0||serving|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Vitamin B12
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin D
|Meat and Alternatives||0|