Chicken, small potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms cooked with white wine.
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Heat the oil in a large pan or in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the chicken pieces and sauté thoroughly on each side until they are golden-coloured, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper, then transfer the pieces to a plate and keep them warm.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan then sauté until softened, 2-3 min. Add some additional oil if necessary. Add the oregano and cook one more minute, with stirring. Pour in the wine and broth, then stir and scrape the bottom of the pan thoroughly. Put the chicken back into the pan, cover and simmer, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until the meat is nearly tender, 25 to 30 min.
- Add the carrots and small potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 min.
- Add the mushrooms then cook an additional 3-4 min. Using a slotted spoon, move the chicken and vegetables to a platter then keep warm. Whisk the mustard and Cognac into the remaining cooking juices, then bring to a boil.
- Put the flour in a small cup, then knead the margarine into it until they are well combined. Whisk the mixture slowly, a half-teaspoon at a time into the sauce to slightly thicken it. Adjust the seasoning. Return the chicken and vegetables to the pan and stir to coat them with the sauce. Serve immediately on the warmed plates.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (430g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Selenium, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|