The addition of a little bit of horseradish and mustard to the cheese-sauce adds extra zest to this classic dish.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Prepare the cauliflower : cut into equal-size florets, then blanch them in a pot of salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 6 min. Drain and transfer the florets to a baking dish.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, heat the margarine in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and stir 2 min, paying attention not to let it burn. Gradually whisk in the milk, then cook until the sauce boils and thickens, whisking constantly, 3-4 min. Mix in the horseradish, vinegar, mustard, and grated cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and mix to coat.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the cauliflower is golden-brown on top, about 25 min. For a nice crust, turn on the top broiler for the last 2 minutes. Serve hot.
The cauliflower and sauce can be prepared a couple days ahead, chilled in the refrigerator, then baked just before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||1||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Omega-3, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin A, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Diet-related health claims :
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||½|