Minced chicken meat with onions, parsley, and spices.
These patties are popular throughout the Middle East. They can be made out of various types of meat, normally served with flat bread, yogurt, and salads.
Before you start
These patties can be cooked either using an outdoor grill or in a pan on the stovetop.
- Finely chop the onion and parsley, then put them in a bowl. Add the ground meat, bread crumbs, and ground coriander. Add salt and pepper. For a more piquant flavour, you may add the curry powder. Mix well until the mixture is well combined and smooth. Chill for about 10 minutes to firm up the meat mixture.
- The traditional « kaftas » are sausage-shaped : little balls are made first, then threaded onto skewers, and molded into a log shape about 10 cm long and 3cm thick. However, it is perfectly acceptable to shape the « kaftas » into regular patties.
- Cook the « kaftas » on a lightly oiled hot grill for about 10 min, until the outside is golden brown and the inside loses its pink colour. Turn the patties once halfway through the cooking. Alternatively, heat a nonstick heavy-bottom pan. Add the « kaftas » and cook for about 10 min, turning them once.
- While the meat is cooking, chop the mint and mix it with the yogurt in a small bowl. Place the « kaftas » on pita bread then serve with the yogurt dip on the side.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (240g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Magnesium, Niacin, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :
|Milk and Alternatives||0|
|Meat and Alternatives||2 ½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
Amenophisapril 06, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
Very good with ground turkey.