Mussels, shrimp, and fish in a spicy broth.
|460 g||mussels, rinsed||30 units|
|2 tbsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||30 mL|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|15||shrimp, medium-large||150 g|
|1/4 cup||white wine||65 mL|
|1 clove||garlic, pressed|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|1/2||dried chili peppers, minced||0.4 g|
|3/4 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||190 g|
|2||tilapia fillets, or other white fish||360 g|
|3 tbsp||water, or more, if necessary||45 mL|
|3 slices||bread, whole wheat||110 g|
|1 clove||garlic, to rub the bread|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Carefully rinse and brush the mussels to remove any sand. Drain. Discard any mussels that stay open, even after being tapped. Put the mussels in a pot with about one teaspoon of the parsley and garlic base. Cook over medium heat, covered, 7-8 min. All the mussels should open. Take them out and set aside. Filter the liquid through a sieve to remove any bits of shell and sand. Set aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp then sauté, with stirring until the shrimp are opaque throughout and pink-coloured, 3-4 min. Deglaze with the wine then cook 1 min. Season with salt and pepper, then take the shrimp out of the pan, and set them aside, covered, to keep them warm.
- Heat the remaining oil in the saucepan, then sauté the onion and garlic about 5 min until translucent. Add about one tablespoon of the parsley and garlic base and minced chili pepper. Cook 1 min with stirring. Add the diced tomatoes, then cook about 10 min. Add the filtered mussel liquid and bring to a simmer (i.e. bring to a boil, then lower the heat so that the liquid just bubbles up to the surface).
- Cut the fish fillet into large chunks, add to the saucepan, cover, and cook until the fish is opaque throughout, about 5 min. Add some water if necessary just to cover the fish.
- Take advantage of these last 5 min to shell most of the mussels discarding the shells, but keeping some for decoration. Also remove and discard any unopened mussels. Put the mussels and shrimp back into the saucepan to warm them up. Adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Toast the bread slices then rub them on one side with one or more garlic clove. Place a slice in each bowl. Ladle the soup over the bread and garnish with the unshelled mussels. Serve.
This recipe may be prepared a few days ahead until step 5 included.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (340g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||1||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||2 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre
- Good source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||5 ½|