Leg of mutton stewed with potatoes, onions, and peppers.
A very "forgiving" and pleasing Italian recipe, that guarantees flawless results each time.
Before you start
A baking or casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid is necessary for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F.
- Prepare the vegetables. Mince the garlic and chop the onion. Cut the peppers into 1,5 cm strips. Peel the potatoes then cut them into 7 m-thick slices.
- Heat half of the oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and onion 3-4 min until soft. Add the pepper strips. Cover and cook 15 min with occasional stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, cut the lamb into 4 cm pieces, then coat with flour. Heat the rest of the oil in another pan over high heat. Sauté the lamb pieces, turning frequently. Cook about 10-12 min, until golden, then season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish with the potato slices. Lay the lamb pieces with the cooking juices over the potato slices. Add the other cooked vegetables. Pour in the red wine and the broth. Cover with one more layer of potato slices. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated cheese. Cover.
- Cook 2 h with the lid on, then uncover and cook an additional ½ h. Serve directly out of the baking dish.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (350g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Iron, Manganese, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
fifi2284february 17, 2014 | I would make this recipe again
This is excellent! Would redo this recipe in a heartbeat!