A papaya purée and vanilla ice-cream.
A true Brazilian classic, at its best when freshly prepared. A heartful thank you to our dear friend Bernardete, from São Paulo, for this recipe.
|1/4||papaya, red, ripe||380 g|
|2 scoops||non-dairy frozen dessert, vanilla-flavoured||125 mL|
|2 tsp||crème de cassis (black currant liqueur)||10 mL|
Before you start
For best results, choose only ripe papaya (yellow skinned and yielding to gentle pressure).
- Cut the papaya in half lengthwise and remove the black seeds. Peel and discard the skin which is not edible. Coarsely cut the pulp into pieces (about 1,5 cm) and place them in a blender. Add the ice-cream and pulse until very smooth.
- Portion out the mixture into individual cups, sprinkle each with the crème de cassis and serve immediately.
Because of the presence of the "papain" (enzyme) in the papaya, this cream does not keep well: prepare and eat it right away.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (160g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin C
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy