Peanut butter adds richness and flavour to this spicy Caribbean stew.
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- In a bowl, mix together half of the oil, garlic, oregano, curry powder, and half of the lemon juice. Cut the chicken breast into thin strips, then add the strips to the bowl. Stir well to combine, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 1 h 1/2 to overnight.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the onion and cook gently until softened, about 5 min. Add the tomatoes and jalapeño pepper, then cook 1 min with stirring. Take the pan off the heat, then add the peanut butter. Blend in the hot broth, adding a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste then transfer the mixture to the ceramic cooking pot.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and cook 1 h on 'high'. About 30 min before the end of the cooking time, take the marinated chicken out of the refrigerator and leave it to come to room temperature.
- Add the chicken and marinade to the cooking pot, mixing well to combine. Cover and cook 1 h.
- Add the rice, stir to mix. Cover and cook on 'high' for a further 45 min, or until the rice is cooked. Stir in the remaining lemon juice, garnish with green onions (optional) and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (460g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||2||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Manganese, Vitamin B2
- Good source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C
- Excellent source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||4 ½|