- Cut the beef into 2 cm cubes, if not already cubed, then dredge the cubes in flour.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the beef cubes and sauté until they are browned on all sides, about 5-6 min. Mince the garlic, then add it to the pot. Add the broth, tomato paste, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary sprig(s), and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 1 h, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables : coarsely chop the onions; cut the celery stalks into 1 cm pieces; peel the potatoes and carrots, then cut them into 1 cm pieces.
- Melt the margarine in another large pot over medium heat. Add the vegetables and sauté until they are golden, about 20 min, with occasional stirring. Add the vegetables to the beef stew. Continue to simmer, uncovered, until the beef and vegetables are very tender, about 40 min. Season with salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves and rosemary sprig(s), sprinkle with the chopped parsley, then serve.
This stew can be prepared a few days in advance and brought to a simmer before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (560g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Good source of :
- Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|