Poached eggs, with potato pancakes and slices of smoked salmon, in an orange and Cointreau sauce.
Usually served for a brunch, but equally appreciated in other occasions.
Before you start
Keep the serving dishes in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
The various steps for this recipe may be done in parallel. The potato pancakes and poached eggs can be prepared a few days in advance, and the final assembly may be done at the very last minute.
Prepare the potato pancakes
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until they are soft, about 15-20 min depending on their size. Drain the potatoes, then peel them while they are still warm. Place the potatoes in a bowl and mash them until they become puréed.
- Beat the eggs then add them to the potatoes. Pour in the cream, then finely chop the dill and add it to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Chill the mixture a few minutes until it becomes firm, then divide it into pancakes (1 per serving).
- Heat the oil in a thick-bottom pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the potato pancakes and cook them about 3-4 min per side, turning them once, until they are golden-brown. Transfer the pancakes to a plate and keep them warm in the oven.
Prepare the poached eggs
Prepare the orange sauce
- Finely chop the shallot. Grate the zest of the orange, then peel it and cut the fruit into bite-size pieces.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallot then sauté 2 min. Add the zest and orange pieces, then sweat 2 min. Pour in the wine, then reduce until it has evaporated. Pour in the cream and Cointreau (optional). Cook a few minutes to reduce to the desired consistency for a sauce. Set aside.
Assemble the dish
- Put one pancake on each warmed plate. Arrange one smoked salmon slice on top of each pancake, then place the poached egg on top. Pour the sauce over the egg and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (260g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Fibre, Iron, Manganese, Omega-3, Vitamin B1, Vitamin K, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|