A sophisticated hot dog that is always a crowd pleaser.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Thinly slice the onions, add them to the skillet, and sauté until slightly softened about 4 min. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, and caraway seeds. Lower the heat to medium-low and sauté the onions until very tender, about 15-20 min longer. Add salt and pepper.
- Put the sausages on a medium-hot grill and cook until brown and crisp, about 3 min per side. Alternatively, broil them in the oven.
- Transfer the sausages to a working surface and cut them in half lengthwise. For each sandwich, arrange 2 halves of sausage on a slice of bread. Spread about 1 teaspoon of mustard on each sausage layer, then top with the caramelised onions, dividing them equally among the sandwiches. Thinly slice the Gruyère cheese, then distribute the slices on top of the onions. Cover each sandwich with the remaining bread slices. Spread half of the butter over the top of each sandwich.
- Heat a nonstick, heavy-bottom pan over medium-low heat. Carefully put the sandwiches, buttered side down, in the pan. Cover and cook about 3 min, until the bottoms are brown. Spread the remaining butter over the upper bread slices. Turn the sandwiches and cook until the bottoms are brown, 2-3 min longer. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (300g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||2 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||½||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin B6
- Source of :
- Copper, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
|Meat and Alternatives||2|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
CharlieTrottermay 08, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
This is a "glorified" hot-dog, that is simply to die for!