Tempeh, mango and avocado in a sesame seed oil vinaigrette.
Sesame seed oil adds a pleasant nutty taste to this salad, but because of its full flavour, it is preferable not to overdo it.
- Thinly slice the onion, then soak it in a small bowl filled with water and a few drops of vinegar. Set aside while preparing the rest of the salad or leave it overnight in the refrigerator. This makes the raw onion easier to digest and crispier.
- Cut each 8oz (240g) tempeh block into 4 squares, then cut each square into 2 triangles. Combine the soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and garlic in a bowl. Place the tempeh into the bowl then let marinate for about 15 min, turning the pieces once to cover them well. Make sure that both sides of the tempeh are covered with the marinade.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the tempeh pieces and sauté until golden-brown, about 5 min. Set aside.
- While the tempeh is marinating and cooking, mix the rice vinegar, salt, pepper, canola and sesame oil in a large bowl. Whisk using a fork until the vinaigrette is well emulsified. Drain the onion and add it to the bowl.
- Cut the mangoes in half, without peeling them, slicing near the large oval pit. Using a knife, make check pattern incisions (about 1 cm wide) in the flesh without cutting through the skin. Gently press the scored halves to turn them inside out and then cut off the cubes of fruit from the peel. Trim the rest of the fruit off the pit. Place the mango pieces in the bowl.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the stone, then using a melon-baller, spoon out small balls and add them to the bowl. If a melon-baller is not available, simply dice the avocados.
- Add the tempeh triangles and sliced green onions, then toss delicately to coat well with the vinaigrette. Serve right away.
Avocados should be prepared and added to the salad at the very last minute to avoid darkening.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (280g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Omega-3, Omega-6, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B2
- Excellent source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar