Tofu, onions, mushrooms, and peas covered with mashed cauliflower, and baked until golden.
A low-carb, vegetarian «shepherd's pie» with a cauliflower purée replacing the mashed potatoes.
|5 cups||cauliflower, cut into florets||800 g|
|11||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||150 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||23 mL|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|300 g||firm regular tofu, cut into small cubes||1 1/2 cup|
|1/2 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||130 g|
|4 tsp||tomato paste||24 g|
|10 drops||Tabasco sauce||0.63 mL|
|2/3 cup||vegetable broth||170 mL|
|2/3 cup||frozen peas||80 g|
|1/2 cup||soy beverage, unsweetened, fortified||125 mL|
|4 tsp||margarine non-hydrogenated||18 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
|1 pinch||salt [optional]||0.2 g|
Before you start
For individual pies, choose baking dishes which contain about 375 ml or 1 ½ cups when 3/4 full.
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the cauliflower: Cut into florets then boil them 10-15 min until they are very tender. Drain well and set aside.
- Prepare the mushrooms: slice them thinly lengthwise. Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until the released liquid is evaporated, about 3 min. Add the Parsley and Garlic Base, then cook an additional 2 min, with stirring. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the skillet from the heat but keep it warm on the stovetop.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Finely chop the onion then add it to the pan and sauté 3 min until it becomes translucent. Cut the tofu into small cubes, then add them to the pan and sauté 2-3 min, with stirring, until they are nicely coloured. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, Tabasco sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and the cooked mushrooms. Continue to cook until the mixture is heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to a large baking dish, or distribute it into individual baking dishes.
- Pour the soy milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the margarine and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked cauliflower and mash it until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the cauliflower mixture on top of the tofu mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
- Bake the pie in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 25-30 min. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (450g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Source of :
- Omega-3, Vitamin B12, Vitamin D
- Low :
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|