Tofu, vegetables, and beans in a tomato sauce.
This dish is inspired by the Texan classic «chili con carne», with the ground beef replaced by tofu.
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Prepare the vegetables: Chop the onion, mince the garlic and chili pepper, finely dice the carrots, celery, and bell pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic about 2 min until the onion is translucent, with occasional stirring, paying attention not to let them burn. Add the carrots, celery, and bell pepper, then cook 4-5 min, with occasional stirring. Add the minced chili pepper, cumin and brown sugar, then cook 1 min, with stirring. Finely dice the tofu then add it to the mixture, then cook until golden-brown, about 8-10 min.
- Drain the beans, rinse them and drain again. Add them to the pan, mix well, add the diced tomatoes and enough water to provide a moist environment. Cover and cook over low heat an additional 10 min, until the carrots are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro leaves, then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (340g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Diet-related health claims :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Copper, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Source of :
- Omega-3, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|