A lentil and tomato salad with dill.
In Italy, lentils are a traditional offering on New Year's tables as a symbol of prosperity and luck - their shape is thought to be reminiscent of coins.
|1/2 cup||green or brown lentils (dried), rinsed and drained||90 g|
|1 clove||garlic, chopped or pressed|
|1/2 tsp||salt||3 g|
|2||tomatoes, deseeded and diced||240 g|
|2||green onions/scallions, chopped|
|2 tbsp||fresh dill, chopped||4 g|
|1 1/2 tbsp||Classic Vinaigrette||23 mL|
|1/8 tsp||ground pepper||0.4 g|
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then put them in pot. Chop or press the garlic, then add it to the pot. Add half of the salt, then add water to cover the surface of the lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are just tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking, dice the tomatoes, discarding the seeds, then put them in a salad bowl. Chop the scallions and dill, then add them to the bowl. Pour the Classic Vinaigrette over the salad. Add the remaining salt and pepper.
- Drain the lentils, then toss them with the salad. Adjust the seasoning then serve.
The leftover salad is just as good cold, the next day.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (250g)
% Daily Value
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Niacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc
- Source of :
- Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B2
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
Gyro2january 14, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
A very tasty salad...I like the addition of the dill.