Ground beef, onions, mushrooms, and peas, covered with mashed cauliflower, and baked until golden.
A low-carb variation of the classic Shepherd's Pie, where the potatoes are replaced with cauliflower.
|5 cups||cauliflower, cut into florets||800 g|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|11||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||150 g|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|340 g||ground beef, lean|
|1/2 cup||canned tomatoes (diced)||130 g|
|4 tsp||tomato paste||20 mL|
|2 tsp||Worcestershire sauce||10 mL|
|2/3 cup||beef broth||170 mL|
|2/3 cup||frozen peas||80 g|
|1/2 cup||soy beverage, unsweetened, fortified||125 mL|
|4 tsp||margarine non-hydrogenated||18 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
For individual pies, choose baking dishes which contain about 375 ml or 1 ½ cups when 3/4 full.
- Preheat the oven to 205°C/400°F.
- Prepare the vegetables: finely chop the onion; thinly slice the mushrooms; cut the cauliflower into florets then boil them 10-15 min until they are very tender. Drain them well and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the ground meat and sear it until it looses its red colour, about 4-5 min, then break it up with a fork. In order to brown the meat, it is important not to stir it at the beginning, otherwise it will release its juices and will «boil» rather than brown.
- When the meat is golden-coloured, add the chopped onion then cook 2 min with stirring. Stir in the diced tomatoes, mushrooms, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and broth. Add the frozen peas and continue cooking until heated through, about 4-5 min. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the contents to one large baking dish, or distribute it into individual baking dishes.
- Pour the soy milk into a large microwave-safe bowl. Add the margarine and microwave on medium-high a few minutes, uncovered, until very hot. Add the cooked cauliflower and mash the mixture until it is creamy. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place a spoonful of the cauliflower mixture on top of the beef mixture, then gently spread it with a spoon to cover evenly.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until the top is golden-brown, about 30 min. Serve.
The pies can be frozen right after having been covered with the mashed cauliflower and individually wrapped. They can be baked (taken directly from the freezer) for about 50 min at 205°C/400°F.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (440g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Omega-3
- Good source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||2|