Beef and vegetables braised in red wine.
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large, thick-base pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and sauté until it is browned on all sides, about 8 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: Thinly slice the onions, then put them in the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot. Peel the carrots, potatoes and turnips. Cut the potatoes and turnips into 1 cm-thick slices, then arrange them on top of the onions. Mince the garlic, then add it to the pot. Coarsely cut the carrots and celery stalks into 3 cm pieces, then set aside.
- When the meat is brown-coloured, place it on top of the potato and turnip layer. Put the carrots and celery pieces around the sides of the meat. Season with salt to taste. Pour the wine and water into the browning pan to dilute any sediment. Stir in the tomato paste, then transfer the mixture to the ceramic pot.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid and switch to 'high' or 'auto'. Cook for 1 h, then leave on 'auto' or switch to 'low' and cook for a further 6-8 h, or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Alternatively, cook on high throughout for 4-5 h.
- Season with pepper just before serving. Serve the meat and vegetables with the cooking juices.
This stew can be made a few days ahead and reheated over moderate heat.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (420g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||4 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Calcium, Vitamin D, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Copper, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||3|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Leave a review
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
delicieuseoctober 12, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
Really good and tasty! We liked it a little more soupy so I added some extra beef broth all the way to the top!