Chicken cutlets with lemon juice, parsley, and capers.
Hailing from Italy, the «piccata» [pr. pih-KAH-tuh] dish consists of seasoned and floured escalopes, mostly of veal or chicken, which are quickly sautéed then served with a lemon juice and parsley sauce.
|1||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, butterflied||300 g|
|2 tbsp||cornstarch||16 g|
|2 tbsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||3/4 lemon|
|2 tbsp||margarine non-hydrogenated||28 g|
|1 tbsp||canola oil||15 mL|
|1/3 cup||chicken broth||85 mL|
|3 1/2 tsp||capers||10 g|
|1/2 tbsp||Italian parsley, fresh, chopped||3 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, then butterfly them to make cutlets. Flatten and tenderize the cutlets using a meat pounder. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper, then coat them with the cornstarch and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil and half of the margarine in a large skillet over medium-high heat, taking care not to let the butter burn. When the margarine and oil start to sizzle, add a few chicken cutlets at a time and cook for 3 min. When the chicken has browned, flip and cook the other side for 3 min. Remove and transfer the cutlets to a plate. Repeat the operation with the remaining chicken cutlets, then add them to the plate, cover with aluminum foil, and put them in the low-setting oven to keep them warm.
- Reduce the skillet heat to medium-low, then pour in the lemon juice, broth and capers. Bring the mixture to a boil, scraping up brown bits from the pan for extra flavour. Adjust the seasoning. Return all of the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer for 3-4 min. Remove the chicken and transfer it to a serving platter.
- Add the remaining margarine to the skillet and whisk vigorously. Pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (190g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Phosphorus, Vitamin B12, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Free :
|Meat and Alternatives||4|