This is the classic Sunday roast in Italy.
Before you start
Fifteen minutes before serving, put the plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when needed.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel the garlic cloves and cut them lengthwise into slivers, finely chop the shallots and celery. Using a small paring knife, cut small slits about 2 cm deep in the roast and put a garlic sliver into each slit. Coat the roast with a dusting of flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pot over high heat. Brown the roast on all sides a few min, then remove it and brush it with the mustard. Set aside.
- Add the shallots to the pot and sweat 1 min. Put the roast back into the pot and add the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the roast from the pot, strain and reserve the cooking liquid through a sieve, then discard the vegetables. Adjust the seasoning of the cooking liquid and use it to accompany the roast.
- Serve on the warmed plates.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (300g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Magnesium
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|