This is the classic Sunday roast in Italy.
|1||shallots, finely chopped||40 g|
|3 cloves||garlic, slivered|
|1 stalk||celery, finely chopped||70 g|
|800 g||veal roast|
|1/3 cup||white flour (all purpose)||45 g|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1 tbsp||butter, unsalted||14 g|
|1 tbsp||Dijon mustard||15 mL|
|4 cups||milk, partly skimmed, 2%, luke-warm||1 L|
|2 sprigs||fresh thyme||1 g|
|2||bay leaf||0.4 g|
|1/4 cup||white wine [optional]||65 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Fifteen minutes before serving, put the plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when needed.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel the garlic cloves and cut them lengthwise into slivers, finely chop the shallots and celery. Using a small paring knife, cut small slits about 2 cm deep in the roast and put a garlic sliver into each slit. Coat the roast with a dusting of flour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pot over high heat. Brown the roast on all sides a few min, then remove it and brush it with the mustard. Set aside.
- Add the shallots to the pot and sweat 1 min. Put the roast back into the pot and add the remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the roast from the pot, strain and reserve the cooking liquid through a sieve, then discard the vegetables. Adjust the seasoning of the cooking liquid and use it to accompany the roast.
- Serve on the warmed plates.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (300g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Manganese, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Folacin, Magnesium
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Milk and Alternatives||½|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|