All types of short cut pasta can be used in this colourful Spring recipe. I prefer to use the bow-tie pasta called "farfalle".
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|10||asparagus, average size||200 g|
|1||yellow or red sweet peppers||200 g|
|160 g||gluten free/wheat free penne||2 cups|
|1/2||shallots, finely chopped||20 g|
|40 g||feta cheese, crumbled|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Keep the serving plates warm on the stove while you're preparing the dish.
Put a colander in the sink to drain the cooked pasta so that it will be ready when needed.
- Preheat the oven to 215ºC/425ºF. Add half of the oil to a large baking tray.
- Prepare the asparagus and peppers. Leave the asparagus whole; Cut the peppers in half or quarters, removing the stem and seeds. Lay the vegetables in a single layer on the oiled baking tray. Coat them thoroughly with the oil in the tray, then add a little salt. Bake in the middle of the oven until the vegetables are nicely browned, about 10-12 min. Turn the vegetables a couple times during cooking, so that they will cook evenly. Set aside.
- The peppers should be peeled before serving. To make the peeling easier, cover or wrap the peppers with aluminum foil or put them in a paper bag, and let them cool down a few minutes (the moisture kept under the cover will help lift the peel). Cut the peppers into strips and the asparagus into bite-size pieces (about 1,5 cm).
- To save time, the rest of the sauce preparation and the pasta cooking can be done at the same time.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until it is (al dente).
- Meanwhile, warm the remaining oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the finely chopped shallot, then sauté 2-3 min, until it is softened. Add the cooked vegetables. Crumble the feta, add it to the pan, and stir. Mix well, then lower the heat to very low. Add just a little salt (feta cheese is rather salty), and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta then pour it into the pan, mix well and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve in the warmed dishes.
The asparagus and peppers may be cooked 2 days in advance then warmed and added to the pasta right before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (250g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||2 ¼||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||½||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Omega-3, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B1, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Folacin, Phosphorus, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||½|