Rabbit braised in a rosemary, tomato, and white wine sauce.
Rabbit is a white meat, similar in taste and texture to chicken. Nowadays it is commonly found in local supermarkets, since its fine taste and nutritional qualities make it an interesting alternative to red meat. It is rich in proteins, vitamins, and minerals, quite low in fat and easy to digest.
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|2 tbsp||butter, unsalted||28 g|
|1 slice||bacon, finely chopped||20 g|
|1||rabbit, cut into pieces||1.4 kg|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 sprigs||rosemary, fresh, finely chopped||10 g|
|2 tbsp||Parsley and Garlic Base||30 mL|
|2 tbsp||tomato paste||30 mL|
|1/2 cup||white wine||125 mL|
|1/2 cup||water||125 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
Ask the butcher to cut the rabbit into pieces.
Keep the serving plates in the oven at the lowest setting so they are warm when you serve.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan over high heat. Finely chop the bacon and add it to the pan. Sauté 2 min, then add the rabbit pieces and sauté thoroughly on each side until golden, about 7-8 min.
- Finely chop the onion and rosemary, then add them to the pan. Cook 2-3 min over medium heat, taking care not to let them burn. Add the Parsley and Garlic Base, the tomato paste and cook 2-3 min over medium heat. Deglaze with the wine. Cook 2 min until the alcohol has evaporated. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour in about ½ cm of warm water, cover, and simmer over low heat about 30 min or longer, until the meat is tender. (Do as if it were chicken)
- Serve on the warmed plates.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (170g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¾||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Magnesium, Manganese, Omega-3, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Iron, Potassium, Vitamin A
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Phosphorus, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||4 ½|