Rediscovered in recent years because of its valuable dietary properties, spelt is grown since ancient times in Garfagnana, a small area in Tuscany. The local strain of "farro" (the Italian for spelt) is recognized with a Protected Geographical Indication (PGI).
Before you start
- Put the spelt berries in a pot, cover with water then bring to a boil. Add a little salt, cover, and simmer until the berries are cooked, about 35 min. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in another pot, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery, together with the rosemary, then cook, with occasional stirring, until they are softened, about 5 min. Add the potatoes and cook 2 min with stirring. Pour in the strained tomatoes and broth, add a little salt and pepper.
- Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 min. Add about ⅔ of the beans then cook 5 min. Set aside the remaining beans.
- Purée the soup in a blender or by using a food-mill. Put the soup back into the pot, with the remaining beans and cooked spelt. Cook a few minutes until hot.
- Add the optional parsley and the grated parmesan, then ladle into bowls.
This soup will keep up to one week in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (410g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||1||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Calcium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
email@example.com 16, 2017 | I would make this recipe again
We love this!