Beef and vegetables braised with white wine.
Before you start
Using a pressure cooker will reduce the cooking time from 1 h 15 min to 25 min.
- Prepare the vegetables: peel the carrots and potatoes, then cut them into 2 cm pieces. Finely chop the onion and garlic. Leave the meat whole.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker or in a thick-base roasting pan over medium heat. Brown the meat thoroughly on all sides until golden, about 8 min total. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then take it out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pressure cooker or pan and sauté 3-4 min until the onion is translucent. Add the vegetables and cook 2-3 min, then stir in the herbes de Provence. Add salt and pepper to taste. Deglaze with the wine, pour in water to a depth of about 1 cm and put the meat back into the pan.
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cover and close, and bring to high pressure (*Follow the manufacturer's directions to determine when high pressure has been reached). Cook 20-25 min. If you are not using a pressure cooker, cover the pan, lower the heat, and simmer for about 1 h 15 min.
- Serve the meat and vegetables with the cooking juices.
This stew can be made a few days ahead then reheated over moderate heat before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (290g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
CharlieTrotterdecember 01, 2013 | I would make this recipe again
Vert tasty and tender: a keeper