Beef and vegetables braised with white wine.
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1 kg||veal blade roast|
|1/2||onions, thinly sliced||100 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|2||carrots, cut into 2 cm pieces||200 g|
|3||potatoes, cut into 1 cm-thick slices||600 g|
|2 tsp||herbes de Provence||2 g|
|1/3 cup||white wine||85 mL|
|1/3 cup||water||85 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
A slow cooker is needed to make this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large, thick-base pan over medium-high heat. Add the meat and sauté until it is browned on all sides, about 8 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: Thinly slice the onions, then put them in the bottom of the ceramic cooking pot. Peel the carrots and potatoes. Cut the potatoes into 1 cm-thick slices, then arrange them on top of the onions. Mince the garlic, then add it to the pot. Coarsely cut the carrots into 3 cm pieces, then set aside.
- When the meat is brown-coloured, place it on top of the potato layer. Put the carrots around the sides of the meat. Season with salt to taste then add the herbes de Provence. Pour the wine and water into the browning pan to dilute any sediment then transfer the mixture to the ceramic pot.
- Cover the slow cooker with the lid. Cook for 6-8 h on 'low', or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Alternatively, cook on 'high' throughout for 4-5 h.
- Season with pepper just before serving. Serve the meat and vegetables with the cooking juices.
This stew can be made a few days ahead then reheated over moderate heat before serving.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (290g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||2 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Fibre, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3 ½|