- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the onion and the carrot.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt, then sauté until the onion begins to soften, about 5 min.
- Add the barley, then cook 3 min with constant stirring. Pour in the broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to 'low', stir once, add the bay leaf and cover. Cook until the barley just starts to become tender, about 25 min. Add the carrot and peas, cover and cook until the vegetables are tender, 6-7 min.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir once, cover and let stand 10 min. Discard the bay leaf, adjust the seasoning and serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (210g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ½||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Copper, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Manganese, Niacin, Selenium
- Excellent source of :
- Vitamin A
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy
15% to 25% savings from one merchant to another. Imagine how much you could save on a full grocery cart!
Subscribe to our PLUS or PREMIUM plans and save $150/month* on your groceries.I want to maximize my savings * Based on an average-sized household of 2.5 people
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
ambrosia27january 27, 2011
It wasn't very tasty...