Beef cooked in red wine with onions and mushrooms.
A classic French dish, but I've omitted the lard to make it healthier.
- Cut the meat into 1,5 cm cubes and coat them with the flour. Chop the onion finely.
- Heat one third of the margarine and oil in a thick-bottom frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion until translucent. Then remove it and set aside.
- In the same pan, add another third of the margarine and oil, then add the cubes of beef and brown them over high heat 5-6 min until golden. Pour in the wine to deglaze, then pour in the warm broth. Put the onion back into the pan then add the herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over very low heat for about 2 hours.
- While the meat simmers, blanch the pearl onions in boiling salted water 2-3 min and drain them in a colander, then rinse under cold running water and peel. Heat the remaining margarine in a saucepan over moderately high heat, then sauté the pearl onions, stirring occasionally, until browned in patches. Season with salt and pepper. Add the water, then simmer, partially covered, until onions are tender, 15-20 min. If any liquid remains, boil a few more min, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid is reduced. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the mushrooms in quarters. Heat the remaining oil in a pan over moderately high heat, then add the mushrooms and sauté, stirring, until golden-brown and any liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated, about 5 min. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add the onions and mushrooms to the pan with the boeuf bourguignon after the meat has cooked about 2 h. Cook an additional 10 min. Adjust the seasoning then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (380g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¾||servings|
|Grain Products :||½||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Low :
- Calories, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Vitamin A
- Good source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Magnesium, Vitamin B1, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||4 ½|