Grilled lamb with «tsatsiki», a yogurt-garlic sauce.
«Souvlaki» (pron. soo-VLAH-kee) is a Greek specialty consisting of meat chunks that have been marinated in a mixture of oil, lemon juice, oregano, and seasonings, then grilled and served with «tsatsiki» sauce.
|1 tbsp||lemon juice, freshly squeezed||1/2 lemon|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|1/4 tsp||salt||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||ground pepper||1 g|
|1 tsp||dried oregano||1 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or pressed|
|300 g||lamb's shoulder, boneless, cut into bite-size pieces|
|2 servings||Tsatsiki Sauce||1 cup(s)|
|2 slices||gluten-free bread|
Before you start
The lamb can be cooked using either a broiler in the oven or an outdoor grill. Metal skewers are needed for cooking.
Keep the serving plates warm on the stove while you're preparing the dish.
- In a shallow dish, mix the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano, and minced or pressed garlic. Cut the lamb into pieces and add them to the dish, turning them to coat well. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours, turning the pieces once.
Grill or broil
- Heat the grill to medium. Place the lamb pieces on to metal skewers. Grill until the lamb is medium-rare and lightly charred on the surface, about 10-12 min, brushing with more marinade as needed. Alternatively, preheat the broiler. Put the lamb pieces on the rack of a broiler pan, 10-12 cm from heat. Broil 12-14 min total for medium-rare, turning them over once. In the meantime, wrap the bread in foil and put in lower third of oven to warm up.
- When the lamb pieces are ready, transfer them to a cutting board, cover with aluminum foil and let stand 5 min before serving with the tsatsiki sauce and gluten-free bread.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (150g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Manganese, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Vitamin D
- Good source of :
- Folacin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B2, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Diet-related health claims :
- Bone-healthy, Heart-healthy
|Milk and Alternatives||1|
|Meat and Alternatives||3|