This salad is ideal for pic-nics. It can be served as a starter or as a side dish. Pecans may be replaced by other nuts.
- Place the quinoa in a fine strainer and hold it under cold running water until the water runs clear, then drain well. Put it in a saucepan with the water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling boil. Reduce the heat, cover, then simmer until the grains are translucent and the germ has spiralled out from each grain, about 15 minutes. Place the quinoa in a bowl, then let it cool down about 1 h at room temperature.
- Add the pecans, cranberries, zest and juice of the orange, oil, balsamic vinegar, thyme and salt. Mix well.
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 h to allow the flavours to meld. Adjust the seasoning then serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 serving (210g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¾||serving|
|Grain Products :||1 ¾||servings|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol
- Low :
- Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Folacin, Niacin, Omega-3, Omega-6, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Iron, Magnesium, Manganese
- Diet-related health claims :
- Artery-healthy, Heart-healthy