|1/2||onions, diced||100 g|
|2 stalks||celery, diced||140 g|
|2 1/2||carrots, diced||260 g|
|10||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||140 g|
|1 clove||garlic, minced or pressed|
|1 tbsp||olive oil||15 mL|
|2||potatoes, peeled and diced||400 g|
|180 g||stewing beef cubes, diced|
|1/3 cup||pearl barley||60 g|
|4 cups||beef broth||1 L|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion, celery and carrots; thinly slice the mushrooms; mince or press the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and mushrooms, then sauté until they are tender, about 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Meanwhile, peel and dice the potatoes; dice the beef cubes into small pieces (about 1 cm).
- Add the barley, potatoes, and beef, then sauté 2 min with stirring. Pour in the broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer 50 min, or until the barley and potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle the soup into bowls then serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (330g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ½||servings|
|Grain Products :||¼||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¼||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Cholesterol, Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E
- Good source of :
- Manganese, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Potassium, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||1|
Leave a review
karissajakubec2014-01-31T20:29:49+00:00 january 31, 2014
Perfect soup for a cold Canadian winter night! Loved the pearl barley. I added cheese tortellini and doubled the broth as well as adding vegetable broth to the mix. Definitely will be making this for my family again!
Mark272011-03-24T13:16:00+00:00 march 24, 2011 | I would make this recipe again
sliced mushrooms were awsome
cemwebster2010-03-21T23:31:10+00:00 march 21, 2010 | I would make this recipe again
Yummy! Doubled the broth and the beef.
dushy2010-01-18T12:59:53+00:00 january 18, 2010 | I would make this recipe again
It was really great and my kids love it too!
angela52009-12-02T17:15:18+00:00 december 02, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
Great dish! fast and easy
Top ReviewsView All Reviews
Maria69december 11, 2008 | I would make this recipe again
Loved it! The barley really absorbs the broth, so you want to add additional broth. I made a big pot and froze the extra.
Marge75february 24, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
What a great dish! The family really loved it ... but the barley really soaks up the broth so you will want to add a bit more. Will definately be making this again!
maisouiseptember 22, 2009 | I would make this recipe again
This was a great soup, just perfect for those cold winter nights! It was thick, tasty, and real good comfort food.