I have had a hard time reproducing anything remotely similar to the fragrant "real" Cuban black beans, until my friend Laura, who is married to Osquel, born and raised in Cuba, gave me a recipe handed down to her by his mother.
|2 3/4 cups||black beans (dried)||500 g|
|1||onions, finely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, finely chopped|
|1||yellow or red sweet peppers, cut into squares||200 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|1 tbsp||dried oregano||2 g|
|1 tbsp||ground cumin||8 g|
|4||bay leaf||0.4 g|
|1 cup||white wine||250 mL|
|3 cups||chicken broth, low-sodium||750 mL|
|2 cups||strained tomatoes||500 mL|
|2 tbsp||soy sauce, low-sodium||30 mL|
|1 tbsp||sugar||12 g|
|1||chorizo sausage (Spanish type), sliced into rounds||100 g|
|ground pepper to taste|
|2 tbsp||fresh cilantro, minced [optional]||4 g|
Before you start
- Soak the beans overnight in a large bowl. In the morning, drain the water and set beans aside.
- Prepare the vegetables: Finely chop the onion and garlic; Cut the pepper into 1 cm squares. Slice the chorizo into rounds and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and pepper until softened, about 4 min. Add the oregano, cumin, and bay leaves and sauté one minute with stirring. Add a little salt. Pour in the beans and the wine. Cook about 2 min. Add the warm broth, tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and chorizo slices.
- Bring the beans to a boil then cover (leaving a small crack open), reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or longer until the beans are tender and the cooking liquid is thick. Stir occasionally while cooking. If using a pressure cooker the cooking time is reduced to 40 min.
- Once cooked, add freshly ground pepper and adjust the seasoning. Ladle the soup into bowls, garnishing with minced cilantro if desired, then serve.
The soup keeps up to 7 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (390g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ½||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Trans Fat
- Low :
- Calories, Cholesterol, Fat, Saturated Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Pantothenic Acid, Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Magnesium, Manganese, Niacin, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1, Vitamin C, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||2|