A true classic for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
|5.5 kg||turkey, whole|
|1/2 cup||wild Rice||80 g|
|4||Italian sausages||300 g|
|1||onions, chopped||200 g|
|2 stalks||celery, cut into pieces||140 g|
|8||button (white) mushrooms, sliced||110 g|
|1/2 cup||slivered almonds||35 g|
|3 slices||bread, whole wheat, day-old, in coarse crumbs||110 g|
|4 tsp||salt||18 g|
|1/2 tsp||ground pepper||2 g|
|1/4 tsp||dried savory||0.1 g|
|1/4 tsp||dried sage||0.1 g|
|1/4 cup||butter, unsalted||55 g|
Before you start
You will need about 1 1/2 lb (680g) of turkey for each guest. Turkey needs to be thawes in the refrigerator. For every 4 lb (1.8kg) of turkey, allow at least one day of thawing.
Prepare the stuffing
- Place the wild rice in a colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water. Drain well. Place in a saucepan and pour 1 ½ cup of boiling water over. Return to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 45 min or until grains are al dente. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, remove the skin from the sausage, then add the meat to a large skillet. Cook sausage meat over medium heat until no longer pink, about 5 min, breaking meat up with a fork. Stir in onion and celery; cook for 3 min or until barely tender. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 5 min longer.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mixture to a large bowl with the wild rice. Mix well. Add the almonds, bread crumbs, 1 tsp of salt, pepper, savory, and sage, stirring gently. Adjust the seasoning and set aside.
Prepare the turkeyPreheat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
- After thawing, rinse the turkey and wipe it dry inside.
- Stuff the body and neck cavities with the prepared stuffing. Draw the neck skin over stuffing and fasten to body with a skewer. Tuck the wings tips behind the back by twisting ends. Return legs and tail to tucked in position, or tie together with string.
- Place the turkey breast-side-up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Rub the turkey with the butter and sprinkle with the remaining salt. Cover loosely with aluminum foil, tucking the ends and leaving it open at the ends.
- Roast for about 5 hrs, or until stuffing temperature is at 165°F/74°C and thighs temperature is at 185°F/85°C. Baste 2 or 3 times with pan juices during roasting. Remove foil during the last hour and baste with pan juices as the turkey browns.
- Let stand for about 20 min before carving. Serve.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (140g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||½||serving|
|Grain Products :||¾||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||¾||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Folacin, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Magnesium, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Manganese, Niacin, Selenium, Zinc
- Free :
- Added Sugar
|Meat and Alternatives||1 ½|