A thick soup of meaty French lentils that will warm you up on cool, damp nights.
|1 1/4 cup||green du Puy lentils (dried), rinsed and drained||220 g|
|4 g||dried (porcini) mushrooms||2 tbsp|
|1||onions, coarsely chopped||200 g|
|2 cloves||garlic, crushed|
|12||button (white) mushrooms, thinly sliced||170 g|
|1 stalk||celery, cut into small dices||70 g|
|2 1/2||sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes||440 g|
|3||tomatoes, Roma type, seeded and diced||220 g|
|2 tbsp||olive oil||30 mL|
|3/4 tsp||paprika||2 g|
|2 1/4 tsp||dried oregano||2 g|
|2||bay leaf||0.4 g|
|3 cups||chicken broth||750 mL|
|1 2/3 cup||water||420 mL|
|1/4 cup||red wine||65 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
It is not necessary to soak the lentils in advance.
- Rinse and drain the lentils, then set aside. In a small bowl, soak the porcini mushrooms in ½ cup of warm water until softened, about 10 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables: Coarsely chop the onion; mince or press the garlic; thinly slice the mushrooms; dice the celery; peel the sweet potatoes then cut them into small cubes; seed and dice the tomatoes.
- In a pot, sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat about 3 min. Add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté 3-4 min. Add the celery, sweet potatoes, porcini mushrooms with their liquid, lentils, water and broth. Stir in the paprika, oregano and bay leaves. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 min or until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and wine, then simmer for a couple minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve.
The soup keeps up to 1 week in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (290g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||1 ¼||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||½||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Saturated Fat
- Source of :
- Selenium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Copper, Fibre, Magnesium, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B6, Zinc
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Iron, Manganese, Potassium, Vitamin A
- Diet-related health claims :
|Meat and Alternatives||1|