Papaya is a good source of calcium, potassium, vitamins A, B, and C. It contains an enzyme, called «papain», which can act as a meat tenderizer and also helps digestion.
|1/2 cup||orange juice||125 mL|
|2 tsp||balsamic vinegar||10 mL|
|2 tsp||Dijon mustard||10 mL|
|1/4 tsp||cayenne pepper||1 g|
|1||papaya, red, cut into bite-size pieces||1.5 kg|
|4 cups||mixed greens||100 g|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
- Pour the orange juice in a large bowl, then add the balsamic vinegar, mustard, and Cayenne pepper. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
- Cut the papaya in half lengthwise and remove the black seeds. Peel and discard the skin which is not edible. Cut the pulp into bite-size pieces (about 1,5 cm), place them in the bowl, then set aside at room temperature for about 10 min.
- Add the mixed greens, adjust the seasoning, and serve immediately.
Because the «papain» tends to wilt the greens rapidly, prepare and eat this salad right away.
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (310g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||3||servings|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||0||serving|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Free :
- Added Sugar, Cholesterol, Saturated Fat, Trans Fat
- Low :
- Fat, Sodium
- Source of :
- Calcium, Iron, Manganese, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2
- Good source of :
- Fibre, Magnesium, Vitamin E
- Excellent source of :
- Folacin, Potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K
- Diet-related health claims :