"Köttbullar" (i.e. meatballs) is a Swedish dish, traditionally served with boiled potatoes and a "lingonberry sauce", similar to a cranberry sauce. The spice used here is the berry of a pimiento tree. It is aptly named "allspice" because it tastes like a combination of spices, mostly cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
|1/2||potatoes, peeled||100 g|
|2 tsp||Italian parsley, fresh, minced||4 g|
|1/4||onions, finely chopped||50 g|
|1||eggs size large|
|400 g||ground beef, lean|
|1 1/2 tbsp||water||23 mL|
|1/4 tsp||allspice powder||1 g|
|1/4 tsp||salt, or to taste||2 g|
|2 1/2 tbsp||brown sugar||28 g|
|2 tbsp||Dijon mustard||30 mL|
|2 tsp||apple cider vinegar||10 mL|
|2 tsp||canola oil||10 mL|
|2 tsp||olive oil||10 mL|
|ground pepper to taste [optional]|
Before you start
These meatballs can be cooked either in the oven or using an outdoor grill.
If shaped into smaller meatballs, they may be served as appetizers with extra sauce for dipping.
- Peel the potatoes, then boil them until they are very tender, 20-25 min. Drain them well, then put them in a bowl and mash.
- Mince the parsley, then add half to the bowl of the potatoes and reserve the rest. Finely chop the onion, then add it to the bowl. Add the egg, ground beef, water, allspice, salt, and pepper. Using your hands, blend the mixture together until it is just combined well (do not overmix). Form the mixture into 2-3 cm balls and arrange them on a tray. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 h, or up to overnight. The purpose is to firm up the meat mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients, including the reserved parsley, except the olive oil, until the brown sugar is dissolved and a sauce consistency is obtained. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/350°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Working in batches, add the meatballs and sauté until they are golden on all sides, about 5 min. Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking sheet and brush them with the sauce.
- Cover loosely with foil and roast in the middle of the oven 25-30 min. Alternatively, the meatballs may be threaded onto bamboo skewers and cooked on the oiled rack of an outdoor grill. Serve the meatballs with any remaining sauce on the side.
Recommended side dishes
Nutrition Facts Table
per 1 Serving (150g)
% Daily Value
Servings of Canada's Food Guide1 serving of this recipe is equivalent to :
|Vegetables and Fruits :||¼||serving|
|Grain Products :||0||serving|
|Milk and Alternatives :||0||serving|
|Meat and Alternatives :||1 ¼||servings|
ClaimsThis recipe is :
- Source of :
- Copper, Folacin, Magnesium, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B1, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin K
- Good source of :
- Iron, Phosphorus, Potassium, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6
- Excellent source of :
- Niacin, Selenium, Vitamin B12, Zinc
|Meat and Alternatives||3|